Monday, April 22, 2013

Technology and Wellness

I read an article on the 64 best health and fitness apps of 2013 and wow.  Most of the apps are free which makes me super happy.  Couch to 5K made the list which is great.  There are a couple of different apps available that are all very similar in getting someone ready to run a 5K.  I only have experience with C25K (free) and Ease into 5K (paid).  I think both are great, but C25K has a free version that is the complete program, where many of the other free versions are really just "lite" versions of the program and only include a few workouts. 

The app from the list I am most excited about is Teemo.  It has all these little challenge courses you work your way through.  Each course has multiple exercises that only take a few minutes and no equipment.  I love this because I can do one challenge while my oatmeal is cooking, or a multiple challenges to make a longer workout.  It seems like a new, kind of cool way to incorporate extra physical activity into my normal day.  The downside is you have to have a Facebook account to use the app.  I do have a Facebook, but I don't play games or run any of my other apps through it.  The app is designed to be social, but I am not sure I want to use it that way.  You can choose to not allow the app to post on your behalf. 


There is also an Eat Local app on the list that intrigues me.  I like to eat local whenever possible and I love going to a Farmer's Market, so this is something I may have to try.  I think I know about all the local Farmer's Markets near where I live, but the app is free, so it could be fun.  The Weight Watchers app was also included on the list and I do use it to track my daily points and weekly weigh ins.  Something that was not mentioned in the article: the app is free to download, but you have to be a Weight Watchers member to log in and use it.  An app that did surprise me as being a wellness type app was Instagram.  I have not jumped on the Instagram bandwagon.  I did download the app months ago to see what it was all about, but haven't really used it.  Greatist.com claims you can join communities and there is one that celebrates making healthier choices.  Making good choices is a strong theme in the lessons and workshops I created during my undergrad and into my career.  So I may have to become an instagramer. 

An app that I can't believe exists is STD Triage.  How it works is you take a picture of your problem (most likely located on your genitals) and submit the picture along with a description of your symptoms.  A dermatologist will review your problem based on the supplied information and you will receive a notification once a diagnosis has been made (which you then pay for).  The best part of this?  The app icon. 



*I don't know if I need to say this, but these are just my opinions (obviously!).  I was not paid by any of these companies or app type people to write this.  It is simply a collection of wellness related apps that I love or want to try (or scratched my head at).  And thanks to Greatist for making this killer list!

No comments:

Post a Comment